11 Days Left of 2009...My Top 5 Books of 09


My Top 5 Books of 2009

I did a fair amount of reading in 09. Some good and some not so good. Since I plan to be in the publishing business someday, preferably sooner than later, I'm going to keep the "not so good" reads all to myself. I'm sticking with the positive here.
*these are books I've read this year and some were not published in 09

5. Corner of the Universe by: Ann M. Martin
A former student passed this off to me as a good read last winter and let me tell you, I agree. It is a middle grade realistic fiction with a very memorable MC and a mentally challenged uncle as a side character.

4. Sarah's Key by: Tatiana de Rosnay
Adult fiction dually set in 1940's Paris and modern day Paris. The book alternates between Sarah's POV during the French round up of Parisian Jewish families and a modern day American woman married to a French man. Their lives are seriously intertwined and they don't find out till mid-way through the novel. It will haunt you for days.

3. The Alchemist by: Paulo Coelho
A simple story of a shephard boy following his dreams. The inspirational power of this book is in Coelho's thinking, told through the character of The Alchemist. It is a must read.

2. Many Lives, Many Masters by: Dr. Brian Weiss
Non-fiction that will stay with you, toying with all you believe, challenge all you know and make you think deeply about just about everything. Yeah, it's one of those books that will never leave your psyche. One hell of a read.

1. The Absolutely True Story of a Part Time Indian by: Sherman Alexie
This was, hands down, up and sideways, the best book of the year for me; and it's YA. I don't think I've ever laughed harder with a character than I did with Junior. Alexie's writing is brilliant and endearing and I LOVED this book.

Popular Posts