The Breakup (and new hope)

I tried to make it work, honest. I spent hours and hours and hours thinking about it. I talked about it. I talked to it. I journaled my feeling about it. Spent money on it. Researched ways to make it all work out.

But, I still had to break up with it.

It took me a long time to realize that things were not working out between us. Sometimes I can be so blind...or hopeful, whichever way you choose to look at it. Either way, it's so over.

For now.

I told it I would come back, someday. It cried. A lot. I didn't know what else to do.

Goodbye, old Work in Progress. Goodbye. I got you all the way to page 141. But, I had to cut ties. Swift and precise, you know, to make it less painful for it.

It really isn't you, it's me. Can we still be friends?

No?

Why?

Oh, who told you about that?

Well, aren't you happy for me? I found love again. Real love. Love like the first time.

Stop crying. No, really, stop crying, you're turning into paper mache.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's true, I'm in love again, with my brand new WIP. I cooked this baby up way back in January at the SCBWI conference in NYC. After the messy breakup, I went through a day of mourning...and scouring. I looked through all of my gazillion notebooks piled up right next to my desk, and I found my NYC scribblings. It was like the creative writing gods zapped my brain with freshaliscious goodness.

That was two days ago and I'm already on page 41 of this new WIP. And I'm LOVING IT, LOVING IT, LOVING IT. You know what they say, you can't stop true love...

Popular Posts