One reader's reaction to EMPTY

I am thankful for this email from a reader. I am thankful to have readers who fully grasp what I intended. I am thankful that G. granted me permission to share the email.

Good afternoon,

Just wanted to say that I read Empty and it was incredibly powerful. I've read several novels with a similar subject matter (including Cracked) but this one was different. 



*SPOILER ALERT* 

Seriously, don't keep reading if you don't want the ending of the book spoiled for you. Which, by the way, never occurred to me when I initially posted this (um, duh, Kate), but luckily I have a good friend who gave me the business for wrecking the ending for her (sorry, Rina!!).

In other words, if you haven't read the book yet. Just stop here. Don't worry, you can always come back and read what this lovely reader thinks.

If you've already read the novel, well, hugs and high-fives to you! And you have my full permission to scroll down and read the rest of the wonderful letter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
LETTER CONTINUED...
You've been warned...

It was interesting (but very effective) that you chose to end the novel with Dell's suicide rather than an ending where she gets help and everything works out just fine. Although it's nice to see the character get better and everyone be their friend again, you definitely highlight the reality of the situation. A lot of people who get bullied in school or generally feel like their life sucks are too scared to ask for help, even though there are tons of people out there that would be more than willing to help and improve their situation. Although novels where the character receives help and turns out fine are uplifting to those considering suicide and having other issues in their life, Empty shows that there are still people out there who do not receive help even when they desperately need it and feel that suicide is the only way out. 

Empty provides valuable lessons for all. It shows that everyone has feelings and issues they are dealing with. Nobody deserves to be treated the way Dell was and it makes me think twice about saying something even remotely disrespectful to or about someone. You just don't know what people are going through in their life and making rude comments about them will only aggravate their tensions. 

So once again, thank you! I hope your novels will encourage many teens to seek help early for problems and treat others like they want to be treated! 

Sincerely,
G.

Popular Posts