The Summer That Was: Part 3

Welcome to August 2012
(If you missed Part 1 click HERE. If you missed Part 2 click HERE.)

August proved to be the most stuffed--stuffed with awesome.

I was lucky enough to participate in four book festivals, which allowed me to hang out with friends, make new friends, meet readers and sign books.
Local Author Night at the Schiavo Library in Strathmere, NJ. Ten local adult and children's authors gathered for a lovely evening. I was even interviewed by a nine-year-old girl. She came prepared with hand written questions--even blank lines for my answers. Her enthusiasm bubbled over as she squealed and jumped and grinned. She was the highlight of the night for me. 
YA Fest 2012 at the Palmer Library in Easton, PA. Thirty-five authors gathered for a day of fun!
SCBWI's Festival of Books at the Chester County Book & Music Company in West Chester, PA. My husband snapped this one of me reading from CRACKED. The audience listened intently and asked great questions.
And lastly, the PAYA Festival (Bringing YA to PA) in West Chester, PA. This event had thirty authors participating, and was organized (for the 3rd time) by a seventeen-year-old phenom named Skyanne Fisher! I was lucky to sit next to the lovely Charlotte Bennardo, co-author of SIRENZ.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books surrounded me in August, and I read two stunning novels.

GONE GIRL
By Gillian Flynn


My life stopped until I devoured this book. It's one of "those". The writing is superb. The severely flawed characters compelling. The pacing is fast, the twists as twisty as they get. It's one hell of a great read.

SMALL DAMAGES
By: Beth Kephart

I adored the gorgeous prose in this novel, got lost in the Spain so lovingly described. It is the story of love and choices. It triggered multiple bouts of "writer envy" as well as tears. I love when I cry from a book and I LOVED this book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last summer adventures drew to a close with visits to two spectacular natural sites.

Saint Peter's Village
This used to be a working quarry.
 And Penn's Cave
My boys and I took the next boat into the cave.

Another boat passing us by. The photo can't convey the overwhelming scope and beauty of this cave. The tour was an hour long and the cave went on and on and on, each sight simply breathtaking.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In closing, while in Central PA visiting Penn's Cave, we stumbled upon the Grange Fair. It was everything you picture a true country fair to be: farm animals, tractor pulls, rides, and fried everything. My mouth still hasn't recovered from eating my first fried Oreo--100% pure decadence.
I love the tractor, the ride, the mountain in the distance and the setting sun. Country at its finest.
Thanks for traipsing through my summer with me. Here's to a Fall with spices and family, blankets and steamy mugs! What are you looking forward to?

Popular Posts